View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 08:59 AM   #29
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greets Rumil,
Quote:
Is nobody into the Battle of Five Armies!
This is a great topic (and battle Rumil)!I for one needed to re-read the Hobbit before posting.
Quote:
How effective in combat were the eagles, the wolves, Beorn?
All good questions mate! Beyond keeping the skies and mountainsides in check I'm unsure how effective the Eagles would be against hordes of armoured ground troops, fairly intimidating to have one swoop at you, but surely the lower they come the more vulnerable they are too?
The Wolves/Wargs must've been good for shock tactics, but beyond that I would deem their biggest weakness to be a lack of military coordination and discipline, maybe.
For me Beorn is the pivotal element in this battle. He comes over as a total force of nature, unstoppable and singleminded, armed (presumably) with only his teeth and claws and possessing no armour I believe? To be as brutally effective as he was, Beorns speed, intensity and ferocity in this battle must've been phenomenal by any standards!
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote