View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Eric raced after the humungous creature, his heart pounding. He was determined to catch up with it to get a closer look. Wide clumps of trees flew past him as he ventured deeper into the forest. His shoe caught on a tree root protruding from the ground and he fell, receiving a large mouthful of dirt. Blubbering under his breath, Eric hastily scanned the sky to find the beast.

“Where did you go bird?” he yelled desperately. After several minutes of searching, Eric guessed that the bird had flown away into a clump of thick trees. Why did nothing he did ever turn out right? His left leg now swelled with a sharp pain from the bruise that he had received from his ungraceful descent. But he was not going to cry about it like that little baby Eli, who wailed whenever he got a paper cut. Mom and Dad, of course, always tried to calm him and assure him that he was okay. Well I could get their attention too if I was such a baby, thought Eli.

Thoroughly depressed that his adventure seemed to have hit a brick wall, Eli sat down on an old oak stump. Eric looked up at the old trees surrounding him, their long branchy fingers reached far into the sky and were covered with thick clumps of green pine needles. Squirrels scuttled up and down the trunk, munching on bunches of nuts and kernels. He wished that he had something to eat as it was getting late and his stomach rumbled tumultuously

Eric had explored most of the forests around his house, but these woods were not familiar to him. As the sun crept lower in the sky, he searched for something, anything, which would remind him of where he was. Over hours, the foreboding darkness crept up on Eric, cast upon him by the elderly trees. As the bleakness of the situation became apparent, panic set in. He was not safe in this strange forest all alone, no matter how tough he was. Eric cringed as he could have sworn he heard a long, mournful wolf howl echoing through the crisp air. No, he assured himself adamantly, I will make it out of this place and I will find my way home. And I’m not going to sit here and cry about it.

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-01-2004 at 12:22 AM.