View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #65
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Knight of Gondor.... thank you for your post which proves in bold capital letters just my point. Many people here revel in some perverse delight in attacking the Jakcosn films while defending to the death every single word of the books. They use deductive reasoning, logic, calculations, common sense, mathematics, and any other device they can employ to make the films look bad. Fine. But when it comes to the books, they put on the cloak of the True Believer and act as if they are defending the Word of the Lord from infidels.

When you attack the films that is fair game. When other attack the books that is nitpicking. Do you not see the hypocrisy?

I thought we were done on this topic yesterday when alatar and I appeared to reach a very acceptable accomodation and understanding. But if you want to go again, I will oblige you.

In your post you did exactly what I predicted some would do to justify the feat of running 135 miles in 3 days without any training. Here is what I posted yesterday asking how a Mr. Andy Jones could run over 100 miles in one day.

Quote:
And what did Mr. Andy Jones do to train for this amazing feat which seems to stand by itself in all of humankind? Was he merely motivated? Was he pursuing something the gave him god-like abilities? Did he take some pills, magic foodstuffs, or drugs giving him the power of a comic book superhero to do things beyond the abilities of mere mortals? Was he a member of some powerful race of beings whose physical abilities defying his seemingly human shell of a body?
Your explaination uses several of these to explain how it worked in LOTR. Ray Charles could have seen this coming.

In point of fact, I said in the beginning that I could buy the idea of Legolas performing this feat given the extraordinary physiology of Elves. Aragorn may have been given long life but I know of nothing which allowed his muscles to work independently of the rest of the human race. Being a great hunter, tracker and explorer is one thing - being able to run superhuman distances is quite another.

And now we come to Gimli. Dwarves may be strong, they may be hardy, they may be tough, and they may be great to have on your side in a fight. But their anatomy and physiology WORK AGAINST THE ABILITY TO RUN. Long distance runners alomst exclusively have very small body frames compared to most of the population. They have longer legs and weaker upper bodies with little upper body muscle mass. They tend to be thin or even skinny. But their leg muscles would shame the average football player. Their physiology and anatomy helps them run. The body of a dwarf- short stunted legs, heavy upper body with lots of muscle mass, is the direct opposite of a runners body. It is foolish and totally contradictory to fact to think tht someone with this body type and no long distance training could run 135 miles in three days... even with your magic drug of lembas.

But that was not my point from the start. My point is that the True Believers, the Defenders of the Word, will employ all means of creative thinking to justify anything JRRT wrote and do so with a completely straight face. At the same time, many enjoy ripping the films to shreds ignoring the faults of their own love. That is hypocrisy and I wish it would stop or at least be tempered with the realization of what is really happening here.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote