View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #25
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Reborn
However the quote above can also be looked at in terms of Frodo's sensibility and wisdom. Compared to the other hobbits he is somewhat wiser, in both book and film. In this sense Elijah/PJ did a good job. They made an effort to make the other hobbits seem younger and spontaneous, which at the same time added humour to some scenes.
Dragon Reborn, I agree regarding Frodo looking older/wiser than the other three. It worked at times.

Watching FOTR EE as I write, I noticed that during the Balin Tomb fight that initially when the Orcs are entering the room, Frodo is the most surprised/worried/afraid of the four.

Also, in regards to my Weathertop "Waaa!" comment, to be more concise, in the books I never saw Frodo as anything other than a Hobbit, and would say that his 'voice' was always that of an adult. In the movie, however, in that particular scene (and elsewhere) I hear the hysterical cry of a child, so instead of thinking Hobbit, I think child. Couple this with PJ's belittling (sorry) of the Little Folk, and I don't see Frodo being in charge of his own fate.

Note that I thought that Elijah Wood's acting was fine, but again, he did what the directors wanted.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote