View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 02:16 PM   #13
aelithes
Pile O'Bones

aelithes has just left Hobbiton.
Well, when I think of Frodo from the book, I'm filled with this incredibly warm feeling of affection for him; I love his quaintness and charm and innocence. But these attributes (in particular the last) are rather difficult to relate via film, as there is so much less 'face time' with the character and the audience isn't as intimately connected to Frodo's day-to-day thoughts and actions. This, it seems, has profoundly affected PJ's casting decision, and I do think certain concessions were made.

I'm not quite as fond of Elijah as Frodo, but the filmmakers had no choice but to pare down the essence of the character to primarily his relationship with the ring, and the other aspects had to be somewhat compromised, as it were. Nevertheless, Frodo's character, in my opinion, is the most complex, dynamic, and most difficult to portray of all those in the novel and Elijah's performance was quite satisfactory for me. Though it wasn't perfect, I certainly can't think of anyone who would've done a better job of it.