View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #249
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The mechanics of Safran being lamed isnt' the problem. She is turned out with a new group. Horses are hierarchical animals, it happens it doesn't even need a horse as obviously inpleasant as Bolt. Though seeing as she is there.. there are different types of fracture, and bones heal better than ligaments

I hadn't realised that the Meadhall did time jumps frequently or I would have chosen perhaps to make Elfthain start as having been there a while already. That ship has sailed. But I am still happy with the horse being injured as a reason not to go immediately since it seems that this type of injury is not uncommon and she will be absolutely fine after the box rest and convalsescence or at least fine enough to be a brood mare. It did occur that the injury would give scope for interaction with Javan, Leof and the witch. It isn't the herblore he would have a problem with, his granny was skilled in it but in a more scientific way. just the hocus pocus....anything like that may disturb him.

Having thought about it, I don't want Elfthain to be injured at this point. I could write it but if I had thought of going there I wouldn't have started from here... I would have had new characters with less prior angst. It would be too painful and I wouldn't have given them both a taste of happiness, Elfride with a lovely new daughter to play with without the inconvenience of a new husband... and Elfthain a chance to be himself. Too mean. And I often seem to write unhappy characters and wanted a bit of a change.

So if the hall is prepared to take him, my feeling is that his uncle will let him stay on
the condition that he commits to a decent amount of time there not the few weeks necessary to see Safran through the worst of it....six months .. a year? He will probably approve that he wants to make his own way a bit. Then Eodwine/Thornden can make use of him as they see fit. Or I suppose Wilheard ...

None of this has to be played, Elfthain can muse as he tends his horse...

BTW I thought the woodlanders were only 5 miles away?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-26-2015 at 05:30 AM.