View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #40
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Merry and the Nazgul timebomb

Hi all,

(slowly catching up with Esty!)

This chapter highlights Merry as the leader of the Hobbits. OK, Frodo is technically leader of the gang, but from here till Bree, Merry is the effective boss. Now this is not to be wondered at because he is on 'home territory', however, there is more than this involved. Merry is the heir to Buckland, if the hobbits were more feudal he could be styled Prince Meriadoc, heir apparent to the throne of Buckland! In other words he is second-in-command of the whole province.

Naturally he shows his leadership and has 'made all the arrangements' in Crickhollow etc. But what does 'The Master of the Hall' think of his son and heir disappearing off into the Blue with the second 'Mad Baggins'? Was he even told?

Secondly the hobbits seem quite casual in the face of the 'Nazgul timebomb'. The Nazgul know their location, and could be just around the corner.

Quote:
The gate-guards would not let them through by night, though they might break through
Indeed they decide to have a good bath and a slap up meal instead of hightailing it ASAP. As Legolas said later, this is enough to prove they are hobbits!

On Fatty Bolger, well I wouldn't fancy staying in Crickhollow one little bit with the Nazgul creeping up my garden path thank you very much! I wonder if Fatty decided to stay at home partly because he was afraid of slowing the rest down, being likely quite unfit.

As a final note, I find myself yping Crickhowell for Crickhollow all the time!