View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #42
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Welcome back, Rumil! You may try to catch up with us... the sooner you can make it, the better, but no trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Frodo's hatchet- reminded me that the company had set out almost completely unarmed on their adventure, (something commented on in a later chapter). It would be a strange RPG where the characters had but one hatchet and presumably some general-purpose knives!
Not that strange. Why? It's not the most common type of an RPG, but it can be done... And me and my players had such a RPG not that long ago... and whenever you'd be doing an RPG from Middle-Earth involving Hobbits, that's almost a necessity (you don't usually have a Hobbit running around with a sword).

Quote:
Yellow cream, honeycomb, white bread and butter: Reminds me of the spread at Beorn's house, therefore are Tom & Goldberry vegetarian? However this certainly implies agriculture, cream and butter mean cows, bread means ploughing, growing and harvesting wheat, Tom was a farmer, just like Maggot. The honey could concievably have been taken from wild bees, I bet Tom knew a few bee-calming ditties.
Now the question is where did Tom, in this case, have his fields, or cows (I would imagine rather goats or something smaller in his case)... It will be strange for Tom to have any animal "held captive" in his house... the only I can think of was his pony, and still, we don't see anything of him until the encounter on the Downs. Bees are okay, but the other things... is it possible Tom would have "traded" with the hobbits from the Shire? (Farmer Maggot?) But the vegetarian diet sounds very probable.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote