View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 10:59 PM   #642
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I have no idea. ^_^ I do know I jumped massively between Beren's first stanza and the rest of him; that's on me, not the score. I think it's fine?
Yeah, you jump an octave. I thought it was kinda cool at first, but then I started wondering if that was a sign the range is weird. Your call, I'm happy to do some shifts when it's done, just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I feel like discussing translation has really gotten me back into the Zong headspace. I've also got a drawing project on the go right now, so if I can maintain the drawing urge until that's finished, I should be able to sort out the last few portraits, and maybe even the backgrounds.
Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Hmm. I think the best path here is if we can find something that can be read either way, to retain the ambiguity. (My read is solidly taken from the Script, where Finrod directly says that saving Beren was his purpose in Arda; it makes all his living relatives furious, as I recall.)

No, Finrod! O loyal friend, let hope abide!
But Beren! How can/could my life be justified?
I like this, for all the reasons you say. I think it can be read either way, it sounds good, it makes sense. I totally agree about the nice touch with shifting from "king" to "friend". "Could vs can"... I think "could" has a slightly nicer ring to it, and adds to your take on Finrod finding purpose in self-sacrifice without taking away the other meaning, but I don't feel strongly about it. Do you have a preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I didn't actually realise we were trying to rhyme daring/Beren; those are very different sounds in my accent. ^_^
Loooool. I spent so much time trying to come up with plausible near-rhymes for "Beren"! Wow. Well, I suppose it's no loss then. *shakes head at herself*