View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #632
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
D5, 38 First Age

“You know, I’ve been wondering about a thing lately…” ¤ said when they were scanning the spellbound Maiar around them.

“Yeah, haven’t we all?” @ said laconically.

“But I mean this thing!” ¤ protested.

“Which thing? The meaning of life, universe and everything? Or something more profound?” § chuckled.

“Oh cut it, I mean the thing we do and its’ consequences…” ¤ sounded a bit offended.

“Oh that one… Well what have you been thinking about it?” # tried to ease the feelings.

“Well… I mean, if we allow ourselves, for the argument’s sake, to toy with the possibility that we either really die at one point or then live for ever after as we should…”

“You figure there would be a third option?” § smirked.

“Knock it off §, let ¤ explain!” # put in.

“Yes, thank you. So what I said; does what we do in this life have any effect as to which one of the two is the outcome?”

“Like if we do a good job, then Melkor rewards us with great things and let’s us live – and if we do badly, then we die here? Didn’t he say that already in the beginning? Didn’t you pay attention to that?” @ asked a bit sarcastically.

“You could have just asked me if that was what bothered you “lately”.” § commented.

“I was not thinking about that!” ¤ protested again.

“So what then ¤? # was getting curious. “Like if Melkor doesn’t hold true to his word?”

“That wouldn’t be unheard of, thinking about his reputation…” @ commented, suddenly a bit more serious.

“Well, he’s our only bet. He keeps his word or not. And that’s it.” § said impatiently.

“Were you thinking of some other particular possibility ¤?” # asked.

“Like Nienor comes to cry over you and floods Melkor with her tears only to save your forsaken soul?” § laughed.

“Oh, cut it §! Let’s hear ¤?” @ hushed.

“Maybe Ilúvatar knows we are somewhere – even if he doesn’t know exactly where? So maybe, in the end of the days of this world, maybe He still is the one with the power to decide?” ¤ finally managed to form the idea that had been troubling xem so much.

There was a sudden silence when the idea went in. Even § was thinking.

“Just a minute…” # started finally. “So are suggesting, that whether one would live forever or not would be up to a whim by Eru?”

“Creating these mortal losers surely is a whim from the master-whimmer.” § leered.

“Well that was what initially made me think about the whole issue.” ¤ said calmly. “But I’m not sure it is just a question of whim… that’s why I was thinking about our deeds in life.”

“So like contrasting duties stuff: be successful in being bad and please Melkor with your deeds – and vice versa if you want to please Ilúvatar?” @ tried.

“And you don’t know which one to please? Now why don’t you? You serve Melkor and that’s it.” § commented, feeling the discussion was totally losing the reasonable tracks.

“I think I’m getting what you’re after ¤.” # said slowly, thinking heavily. “Like if Eru is the final power then it is his standards that will finally matter? In the very-very-very end?”

“That’s what I was kind of thinking.” ¤ nodded.

“But hey-hey, not so fast!” @ interrupted. “Why would our actions matter? Don’t they say Eru is the All-Good and all that? Why would there then be any requirements?”

“He could be a thought-police, you know… I’d not be surprised of something like that from his part.” § muttered.

“That’s a good point, indeed. But if not our actions, then what would determine our fates?” @ asked confused.

“Or do we have to conclude your initial set up for the question is wrong as there is no difference?” # continued.

“Like there is no real choice? Everyone either dies at the “very-very-very end” or then everyone just lives for ever after?” @ thought half-aloud.

“But if there are no consequences for your actions, then what’s all the fuzz about needing to be this or that? Why follow anyone’s orders?” § said and looked annoyed. "What's the point of it all then?"

“I’m getting seriously confused…” @ said looking like giving up.

“Maybe the point is to realize that conundrum and draw the right conclusions?” ¤ suggested carefully.

“Which have no bearing to whatsoever regarding your destiny? You must be completely mad…” § yelled.

“Okay, let’s look at this calmly now.” # suggested. “So you said that…”

“Wait a minute!” @ broke in, clearly agitated. “Listen… if Eru is the Almighty whose plans are even behind the deeds of Melkor like some of our mates here suggested earlier – that Melkor’s part in the music is just a part of a larger plan etc. – so where does that leave us? If he’s fair he can’t blame us of playing a part he has himself put upon us?”

There was an awkward silence.

“Even I understood that, but hey, we have work to do!” § said willing to stop the speculation.

"Or what does anything we think we choose matter in the first place?" ¤ said grimly. "That was the reason I started talking about the whole issue in the first place."

"Okay puppets, think whoever is the master on the strings..." § was clearly getting enough of the talk.

"We might need to think about this further... later." # said solemnly.

~*~

All the time during the discussion the treacherous Maiar had been using the diffrent utensils Sauron had left in to the corridor to finely slice and cube Elronds daughter and Shastanis Althreduin. Finding a deserted cauldron from one of the side-corridors they put the bits and pieces into it and worked a small fire under it.

The others awoke to the smell of a macabre stew.

On the top of the soup's surface there was a thin ball made of glass which had some oddly bright liquid in it. A gift of Ulmo it had been.

One of the dead had been the seer.

But who were the dead ones? It was impossible to say it from the stew. But after a short counting it was clear they were Ed and Shasta. After that it wasn't hard to make the connection with the Ulmo's ball to Shasta, a spirit of water.

The living:

Macalaure - Carmótar, the Maia of housework
wilwarin538 - Belongs to Vána, cares for all the small garden dwelling, winged creatures
Nessa Telrunya - The patron of town criers across the world
Rikae - A spirit in charge of silicon & static electricity
Boromir88 - A Maia of Mandos, the interpretter of dreams
A Little Green - A spirit in charge of aliens, hummingbirds and farming
Skip Spence - A follower of Aule with an avid interest in behavioural sciences
Mänwe - A spirit of short acquintances
Legate of Amon Lanc - A Maia associated with the unfathomed depths of the world's seas but also with the waters surrounding Arda in the outer space...
Aganzir - Aka. Firebeck, a spirit of fire
Caílin - A spirit of secrecy

The dead:

Satansaloser2005 - (Innocent) A spirit of ducks, muffins and cookies; reduced to ashes and dust on D1.
Ozban – (Innocent) Yavanna's underling with inferiority complex. Caretaker of undergrowth and small bushes in general, especially blackberries; ripped to pieces, dried and unintentionally pulverized on N2.
Kath – (Innocent) A spirit of nostalgy; ripped to pieces, dried and unintentionally pulverized on N2.
Loslote - (Innocent) A spirit of sunshine and rainbows; melted down and turned into vapor on D2.
Kitanna - (Hunter) A spirit of all things unimaginative; committed a willful suicide on N3.
Thinlómien - (innocent) A maia who lives in Lórien and paints the dreams of those sleeping there; her destiny was buried with Utumno collapsing over her body on N3.
Valier - (Innocent) A handmaiden of Yavanna, collecting the morning dew from the petals of flowers; her destiny was buried with Utumno collapsing over her body on N3.
Inziladun - (Innocent) A vassal of Námo, serving as a warden in Mandos; cut in half and turned to stone by Sauron on D3.
Eomer of the Rohirrim – (Innocent) An associate of Ossë, speciality: lochs and ponds, great alliance with frogs; skinned, gutted and sank into his own blood on N4.
Blind Guardian –(Innocent) A spirit of evil ways; skinned, gutted and sank into her own blood on N4.
Pitchwife - (Cobbler) Tender of Oromë's dogs; killed by the Maiar on D4.
elronds_daughter - (Innocent) A spirit of no-nonsense; sliced and cubed into a "hearty stew" between a discussion on theology on N5.
Shastanis Althreduin - (Seer) A spirit of water; sliced and cubed into a "hearty stew" between a discussion on theology on N5.

It is Day 5 now.

Salvation or damnation... it's up to you, more or less toDay.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote