View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 06:02 AM   #19
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
But as Lush said, there is a school of thought (also attended by me) which holds that "all the other Aragorn & Arwen stuff they did" was pretty grim.
The ford scene, and yes, the bridge love scene, were about the only Arwen appearances I really liked. It all went downhill from there - Arwen dying over the Ring, and then the snog at the coronation, were two of the low-points of RotK for me. (Not that I've got a particular problem with snogging, you understand, it was the hugely unTolkienish public nature of it that I objected to.)
And as I've said before, there is a way of justifying Arwen at the ford, canon-wise: in the book, Frodo in extremis calls on Elbereth, and Luthien - and Arwen is, after all, held to be Luthien reborn. (I do also agree with another school of thought on this forum, that movie-Frodo could have been a bit more proactive in defying the Nine, but then I have an issue with Elijah's little-junkieboy-lost perfomance in general)
Legolas - the change from nine days to two might be to make it seem they were closer to Rivendell than they were in the book when Glorfindel found them?
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote