View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 12:49 PM   #40
Elfstone
Animated Skeleton

Elfstone has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

While I agree that a battle between Gandalf and Sauron would likely be a bit closer than either of our original declarations, I still think that his inability to survive a brawl with the Balrog, even armed with whatever extra might Narya may have provided, bodes ill for him if he had to go head to head with Sauron.

As far as his reasons for being sent to ME, I haven't read The Letters so I don't know what enlightenment they might offer, but UT makes no mention of humbleness. In fact, Manwe cites as 'all the mose reason why he should go' Olorin's declaration 'that he was too weak for such a task, and that he feared Sauron.'

I suppose that can be construed to mean that Olorin was too humble to admit his own strength and power, but it seems more to me to show his doubt that he had the ability to stand against Sauron.

They are both, after all, of the same order, and it's reasonable to assume that one is mightier than the other. Why is it that Gandalf must be the mightier, even in the face of his own repeated claims that he is not? He has enough trouble with the Balrog, and later with the leader of the Nine. Sauron was the chief lieutenant of the stongest being that Eru ever created - Melkor. Perhaps if we were talking about Eonwe, but Olorin housed in a mortal body? I find it doubtful.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:51 PM February 07, 2004: Message edited by: Elfstone ]
Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote