View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 11:31 AM   #39
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elfstone - I explicitly meant the Valar/Maia I mentioned right before that, but collectively Sauron would've had no chance against the five wizards also.

Gandalf could've defeated Sauron by himself (but not necessarily in the manner of the example I showed before - it would be a much more even fight). Gandalf did not fight Sauron directly *not* because he wasn't physically able, but because he was strictly forbidden to. This is outlined in Unfinished Tales and The Letters of JRR Tolkien. Isengard couldn't take on Mordor because it was obviously but a small watchtower compared to Sauron's stronghold. Further, Saruman wouldn't have much of a chance against Sauron. Gandalf's quotes on himself are humble - he refused to go to Middle-earth to begin with, until Manwe cited his humble attitude as all the more reason to go. 'Black is mightier still' because Sauron had the Ringwraiths and a much larger army behind him.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:41 PM February 07, 2004: Message edited by: Legolas ]