View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #38
Elfstone
Animated Skeleton

Elfstone has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Forgive me for polluting this thread with something somewhat away from the main topic, but I'm presently reading the book again and wanted to point this out while it's still fresh in my mind. Re: the side discussion of whether Gandalf or the Istari could defeat Sauron -
Quote:
it would've been no different than the Istari.....marching to Mordor and simply dominat(ing) Sauron face to face.
Quote:
I don't doubt that they could defeat Sauron, but the fact is that they wouldn't.
- I found these quotes from Gandalf today as I was reading White Rider:
Quote:
'But Isengard cannot fight Mordor, unless Saruman first obtains the Ring.'
Quote:
'Dangerous!' cried Gandalf. 'And so am I, very dangerous: nore dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord.'
Quote:
'I am Gandalf, Gandalf the White, but Black is mightier still."
And let us also not forget the Gandalf was a prisoner of Dol Guldur.

So, it seems pretty clear to me that Gandalf didn't just go to Mordor and throw down Sauron not because he shouldn't or wouldn't, but because he couldn't. He was sent to ME without the power to do it himself, only with enough power to lead others to do it. And he was sent the first time with too little power, and had to be sent back with a bit more in order to get the job done.
Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote