View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #26
Arcuwen
Pile O'Bones

Arcuwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arcuwen
Sting

I think what it comes down to is how you yourself percieve the world: your beliefs, values, your morals. Tolkien saw the world as having good and evil, as do many of us. It brings us all back to the definition of "evil" and what it means to an individual. Just because one does not agree with Tolkien's perception does not mean it is a flaw, only a varience of opinion. The world having good and evil is really an opinion at heart, and you cannot say an opinion is false. If you believe that world dominance is not evil, then that is alright. Just remember that there are so many more points of view out there than just your own.

Magician:
What books do you enjoy and not consider "2-D" as you so dub the works of the professor? Might seem a bit off topic, but I am very curious if there are any books out there that don't have good and evil at their core, or have the same definition of good and evil as in LOTR.

Quote:
True, and everyone only represents one thing and one thing only. That at times annoys me.
Okay...well if that annoys you, there is nothing I can do about it. Is there anything about LOTR you DO like, and that doesn't annoy you? (sorry if I sound aggressive, just in one of those moods! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img])

Quote:
I am sure that's the case! It must be me! Oh how can I be so stupid? How can I not see that Tolkien is God, and is perfect. Oh deary me, I must go home and wash my brain...(note the sarcasm, just in case you eyes glossed over.)
I seriously doubt that any of us here at the BD consider Tolkien "God" as you put it, Magician, nor do we agree completely on everything in his books. But we all (or at least I assume) enjoy what he has written and that's way we're here. And if you don't agree, state your opinion. That's fine. Realize that others have opinions that are as strong as yours and that, as I stated earlier, no opinion can be considered true or false, right or wrong.
Arcuwen is offline   Reply With Quote