View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 01:48 PM   #360
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nurumaiel’s post:

Angelica sat on a little wooden stool in the kitchen, watching Peony cook. The hobbit-lady seemed so at ease and confident, while Angelica was so extremely scared. She had heard no new news of Fosco, and it was a tremendous strain. Thank goodness for Peony, who was so wonderful that she came over every day to do most of the housework.

"It was too kind of you to come, Peony," said Angelica. "You really shouldn't have, you know. You must have so much to do at home…"

Peony shook her head firmly. "I have no family of my own, you know, and you and Merimac really need me now," she said. "I was more than happy to come, and I'll come whenever I feel like it to help you out with things."

It was the early morning and Angelica had awoken from a bad dream, so Peony had brought her into the kitchen and was cooking her some warm mushroom soup to calm her nerves.

There was the faint sound of a pony cantering coming through the open window. "Now who could be the fool to go so fast when children might - " Peony stopped and stared, wide-eyed. "Angelica, it's Hob!" she said. A little knowing smile came to her face. "For him to come riding up here at that speed at this time can only mean one thing."

"What does it mean?" Angelica asked, puzzled.

"We'd best leave the soup," said Peony. "There will be no need for it now. Angelica, go get your coat. It's rather chilly out and I don't want you catching cold."

"What do you mean? Where are we going?"

Peony looked faintly surprised. "To the Dragon… for Pio." Then she left the kitchen and went down the hallway to the front door, where Hob was knocking firmly but quietly, trying his best to make them hear but not wake the two children. "Angelica!" Peony called. "Wake the children and have them get dressed and bundled up. Hob will take them. We can take my cart to the inn." Then she opened the door with a smile. "Hello, Hob. You'll need to take the children to wherever they're staying… Angelica will tell you. I have my own cart and pony here so I can bring Angelica and myself over." She was pulling on her own coat as she spoke. "What exactly did Pio say?"

"Not much to me, Miss Muddyfoot, but she told me to get you and Mrs. Muddyfoot."

"The babies, I suppose?"

Hob nodded. "Yes. She told Cook they were coming."

"Oh no!" a little cry from behind Peony was heard. "They can't come now!" Peony turned in surprise to see a pale Angelica. "Pio isn't supposed to have the twins until after Fosco is home."

"Is that what you agreed?"

"I never got to speak to her about it, but I assumed…"

"You know well that Pio has no control over the matter, Angelica Baggins Muddyfoot," said Peony firmly, taking her sister-in-law by the arm and leading her outside. "You've had three of your own, so you should know. Speaking of which, are the children ready yet?"

"Yes, they'll be coming soon."

"Hob, when they come, tell them that they're going over to wherever it is - " Angelica interrupted to let Peony know where exactly 'wherever it is' was " - and then bring them there."

"Yes, Miss Muddyfoot," said Hob. "Tell Pio good luck for me."

The two midwives got into Peony's cart, which Hob had made ready for them, and the former made the protesting and sleepy pony move at a quick trot down the road. Soon they arrived at the inn and made their way through the Common Room, Angelica insisting weakly that she had no idea where Pio was. Cook met them and led them up to the room, where Pio lay on the bed, her face sweaty and her hair damp. She smiled at them then gritted her teeth as another contraction gripped her…