View Single Post
Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #17
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yesterday I unexpectedly found myself in a similar boat. My dad, at some point which I have not witnessed, told my kid brother to ask me about hobbits. And I had the question sprung on me at a point most unexpected. Seeing as the kid has only recently graduated from the Three Pigs And The Wolf story level, and whose ideal story has no bad guys, I wasn't even considering introducing him to Tolkien yet. But he asked, so I told him about hobbits, and Dwarves, and a bit about Elves. And then he asked "When are you going to get to the actual interesting part?", so I took that as the cue to launch into a modified retelling of The Hobbit.

So far I told the story up to the Trolls. He was absolutely dazed by the amount of new creatures introduced into his lexicon (he hasn't met many fictional creatures yet due to not being very far in his reading schedule), and he was really scared that the Trolls were gonna eat the company. His favourite part was when the Dwarves showed up in a ridiculous fashion at Bilbo's door. He found it funny, and I had him guess how many Dwarves were standing at the door each time. I don't remember TH that well, but at least I can recite all of Thorin's companions without fail! He was also very upset that Bilbo would do such a bad thing as leave his home without a handkerchief. Burrahobbit, and the whole burglar business, had to be left out, because it doesn't translate well but mainly because I did not feel myself capable to handle the questions that would be met with. Ethics are an issue I did not want to get myself into.

Because I don't remember TH well at all, I did a quick skim of the next few chapters so that I would be able to do Rivendell and the Goblins next. I didn't even remember how the Dwarves got captured by Goblins, and had to look that up. But I think I'll call them Orcs when I get to that part.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-19-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote