View Single Post
Old 08-03-2003, 12:43 AM   #302
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmmmm...fantasy books, come to think of it, my other reading is scattershod and in lots of different genres, although I must be counted among the HP thralls [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . When Order of the Phoenix came out I stayed up almost til dawn reading it each night for a couple days...haven't read much fantasy besides Tolkien lately. Another old favorite is Mervyn Peake's "Gormenghast", also "Riddley Walker" by Russell Hoban (see sig quote) could be sci-fi or fantasy and is kind of like a primitive post-apocalyptic Huck Finn, I suppose. Also read "Shibumi" by Trevanian, not fantasy, but interesting philosophically, also a autobiographical recollection of C.S. Lewis' early life, "Surprised by Joy" wherein he recounts the steps in his life that led to his acceptance of Christianity. Less recently: Fritz Leiber's Swords series and about everything else he ever wrote, lots of H.P. Lovecraft, lots of Star Trek novels back when there was only ONE motion picture and one series....Dune series up to 6th book, but then quit 'cause it was getting silly, read Dragonlance novels like bon bons a long time ago to get through a research paper on dinitrogen complexes...ah, but you didn't need to know that! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Oh yes, and Clark Ashton Smith, who was one of the most lyrical fantasy writers I've ever read! Especially one called "Genius Loci," about a particular spot in a forest with strange powers...
I'm sure there are others but I can't remember them right now!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote