View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #268
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Endamir leaned against his brother, a slightly bewildered look on his face. ‘Do you fear the wine’s been tampered with?’ he whispered, setting his glass off to one side of him. His gaze lingered on the space where the Smith had been, where his voice had continued to come from. ‘He seems harmless enough, doesn’t he? What is so worrisome to you?’

He rocked back and forth on his cold stone seat a few times, thinking. ‘I do find it odd how he can manipulate objects, though he has no body with which to do so.’ Endamir looked at Lindir and Lómwë. Their faces seemed to reflect the same misgivings his brother held.

For one brief moment he felt a small twinge of doubt, but it cleared quickly away. ‘I just don’t get the same sense of foreboding as you, Orëmir,’ he continued, whispering to his brother. ‘He still seems the kind, helpful fellow I once knew. A little older, a little more prone to telling long stories and with the wish not to be hurried about it or distracted with too many questions.’ Endamir raised a brow toward his brother. ‘He said he has some knowledge of Malris and Tasa – or so I thought. And that he would get to them in good time.’

Unthinking, he picked up his glass of wine and took a sip. ‘It’s really quite good,’ he offered, noting the look of reproof on Orëmir’s face. ‘And really, if he said he would get back to them, it must mean that really they are alright. Don’t you think so? So we might as well enjoy ourselves in the company of an old friend while we wait . . .’ His voice had risen to a louder pitch as he spoke on.

Another small twinge of doubt assailed him. But it was easily flicked away with another sip of wine. And for half a breath, he might have thought his reasoning a little tenuous. But he was feeling quite comfortable in the warmth of the chamber and he was finding the Smith’s voice more and more . . . well, soothing . . .

‘I for one would like to hear more of what the Smith has to say . . .’ Endamir yawned widely, he was feeling a little tired and really . . . it was so comfortable here . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-21-2006 at 03:10 AM.