View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #265
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lindir

The Smith's words echoed eerily throughout the chamber. The tenor of the voice reminded Lindir all too much of a creature with flailing tentacles intent on beguiling his chosen prey before he ensnared and engulfed them. The Elf was not about to be swallowed up. Conquering his very real fear, Lindir took another step inside the room and stared the Smith in the eye, "Have you seen this shadow of the night? Have you stood before him as I now stand before you? Many have heard tales of how Maglor wanders the shores of the world, singing laments of despair and regret. Perhaps your story is no more than one of these."

Lindir refused to turn aside. What was said here was too important, for himself personally if no one else. He gathered his wits and plunged ahead, determined to speak the truth as he saw it, whatever the consequences might be. "And what if your story is true? If Maglor was alive, truly alive, he would come to meet his old friends. The Maglor I knew would not tantalize those who love him and stay hidden from their view. And if Maglor still bears a living body but his mind leads him to such deception, then he is not the Lord I once knew. I will have no part of it."

"Or are you perhaps saying that Maglor is only a shadow creature, such as you and the Diviner have become? If so, he has naught to do with us, who still stand here among the living. When I came to this isle, I understood not the line between dreams and reality, the trench that stands between the living and the dead. But having come ashore and seen what has happened to people I loved, I begin to comprehend that awful truth. There is no hanging onto Arda after the body has departed. To do so brings only sadness and pity. If the song we hear comes from a shadowy apparition, we can do nothing to help. For each Elf bears responsibility for his own fëa. It is not I who must look deep inside Maglor and make the decision that it is time to depart. It is he alone who can do that."

No, Master Smith, I care about one thing only, and it is not chasing after shadows. Where are Tasa and Malris? For they are my friends. Why do you seek to entice us with this singing spirit when our concerns and duties lie with our companions, who hopefully still stand among the living? Have you forgotten what it is to be an Elf? Answser us now, and we will leave you in peace."

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-12-2006 at 05:00 PM.