View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #251
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Clink, clink. The ringing sound seemed to come from all directions and none, sounding at regular intervals that did not quite match the tempo of their steps. With every clink, Lómwë could feel his nerves growing tenser and tenser. He did not like caves or tunnels, least of all dark, damp ones like this that had no easy way out. He would be glad to see the light of day again. A shiver ran up his spine. If they saw the light of day again.

“It sounds like a hammer,” Lómwë realized. This revelation was hardly comforting. Noise so regular could hardly be natural, but still… a hammer would indicate something – someone – with knowledge to use it. Was there no end to the menaces of this place? And still the chinking continued.

“Is there nothing we can do?” he asked miserably. “I do not like this wandering, practically waiting to be attacked. Few that we have met on this island have been kindly to us, and I have little faith that this one will be an exception, so intent it seems on destroying my nerves.”