View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #61
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidesson
Well, this is what happens when you opt to put a long book story into major feature films. In my opinion, it may have been better if PJ opted to make The Hobbit - even LOTR - into a miniseries. Or perhaps in George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones" format on HBO.
I'm with Bethberry here. The last thing we need is to give Jackson more time to fill with pointless action and new characters. The Hobbit is a short book; I'd say that the optimal length for a cinematic adaptation of it would be something like three hours. The Lord of the Rings could work better as a miniseries, though not a long one.

For The Silmarillion, on the other hand, a miniseries probably would be the optimal form of adaptation. It would be a fairly unconventional one, though - I imagine several blocks of 6-8 episodes, each telling a single story with largely its own set of characters (Flight of the Noldor, Beren & Luthien, Turin, etc.), with a few standalone episodes for things like the story of Eol and Aredhel. Perhaps a few of those standalone episodes could even be in the style of a historical documentary (e.g. The Great March, The Coming of Men into the West).
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote