View Single Post
Old 09-03-2022, 05:43 AM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
A couple quick things, and perhaps it will jog some memories of where these references are...

I can't seem to recall where I read the quote, but it was said of The Last Alliance, that all races, creatures, and beasts enslaved fought in that war. So as you says Last Alliance of "Elves and Men" is a misnomer.

Also, because of the Peter Jackson movies, I think there is an impression that this was one massive battle fought and that was the end. The Last Alliance was formed in SA 3430. The Battle of Dagorlad is fought in 3434. Sauron's forces are defeated and Barad-dur is sieged for a further 7 years before Sauron comes out and defeats Elendil and Gil-galad, but perishes in the contest himself.

It is at the Battle of Dagorlad there is a mention of Oropher hastily leading his ill-equipped elves into a charge and the Greenwood elves taking the greatest losses. Oropher is slain and Thranduil leads the survivors back to the Greenwood.