View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 12:53 AM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzil
So, he's a "messenger"? From whom to whom? Could he have been part of a contingent sent from Mordor to Isengard in response to the drama with Gandalf's capture and escape? That could explain for his knowledge of Saruman, and the latter's desire for the Ring
Hmm, that could be. "Trusted" messenger is a great find. That makes sense and seems to fit with the timeline. In The White Rider, when Gandalf rejoins the three hunters, he says Sauron was aware the Ring left Rivendell, as well as the number and makeup of the Fellowship. It would make sense, Sauron would have other agents (besides just the Nazgul, particularly after their horses were drowned) searching and giving him information. Gandalf also says Saruman will soon be outed as a traitor:

Quote:
No tidings of the battle will come to Mordor, thanks to the horsemen of Rohan; but the Dark Lord knows that two hobbits were taken in the Emyn Muil and borne away towards Isengard against the will of his own servants. He now has Isengard to fear as well as Minas Tirith. If Minas Tirith falls, it will go ill with Saruman.~The White Rider
Bolding, my emphasis. Given Grishnakh calling Saruman a "dirty" and "treacherous" wizard, it seems likely he was sent out from Mordor after Gandalf's escape from Orthanc. Perhaps even with the task of keeping tabs on what Saruman was up to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuru
As an aside, in my early days, I had always thought that Grishnįkh was an emissary to the Misty Mountain orcs. I believe now that he must have joined Ugluk around the time that the Nazgul had the winged beast killed by Legolas because Grishnįkh was accompanying that Nazgul.
Indeed. Grishnakh told Ugluk there was a Nazgul waiting on the the east bank of the Anduin for them, and snuck away after the fight with the Isengarders. When Grishnakh comes back is the exchange that prompted the idea for this thread:

Quote:
"Splendid!" laughed Ugluk. "But unless you've got some guts for fighting, you've taken the wrong way. Lugburz was your road. The Whiteskins are coming. What's happened to your precious Nazgul? Has he had another mount shot under him? Now, if you'd brought him along, that might have been useful - if these Nazgul are all they make out."

"Nazgul, Nazgul," said Grishnakh, shivering and licking his lips as if the word had a foul taste that he savored painfully. "You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk" he said. "Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that! Ape!" he snarled fiercely. "You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye. But the winged Nazgul: not yet, not yet. He won't let them show themselves across the Great River yet, not too soon. They're for the War - and other purposes."~The Uruk-hai
So, Grishnakh left, reported to the Nazgul on the east bank that Saruman's band were "taking the hobbits to Isengard" (sorry ). This fits Gandalf's statement that Sauron would soon become aware of Saruman's treachery.

This is conjecture, but it makes sense. Grishnakh says Sauron would not let the winged Nazgul cross the Anduin just yet. After giving his report, the Nazgul instructed him to rejoin Ugluk, get the hobbit prisoners and bring them back to be taken to Lugburz. I agree with Kuru, seeing how Grishnakh immediately reacts to Pippin's "gollum" trick, he was probably working under the Nazgul who tortured Gollum, because he says this to Pippin as well:

Quote:
"My dear tender littler fools," hissed Grishnakh, "everything you have, and everything you know, will be got out of you in due time, everything! You'll wish there was more that you could tell to satisfy the Questioner, indeed you will: quite soon. We shan't hurry the enquiry."
"the Questioner", I'm not sure if Grishnakh is calling Sauron that, or one of the Nazgul. I'm inclined to say it's a title for the Nazgul who got information out of Gollum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH
Now, how on earth did Ugluk know so much? And how does that color his response to Grishnakh?
That is indeed interesting. It's way too late for me to think more about this, but thanks for that tidbit!

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-28-2022 at 02:06 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote