View Single Post
Old 06-18-2022, 04:24 AM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Can Sauron sense the Ring? He can if it's used on a site designed to project the user's senses and presence across large distances (Amon Hen), or if it's used in Mordor itself, particularly at Mount Doom (technically Sam uses it for an instant inside Mordor before taking it off, hence the 'particularly'). But he didn't know it still existed until Gollum told him, despite Bilbo and Frodo both using it to hide from Sackville-Bagginses and the like. I think Tolkien wrote that the Nazgul could sense it in use - I remember Khamul being noted as the best at this - but I can't bring to mind any evidence that Sauron can detect it himself.
The issue of the Nazgul's sense of the One has always intrigued me. Hence, this shameless plug of an old thread.

To me, the intent of the Bearer is important.
Although someone using the Ring's secondary power of invisibility is revealed to those who can see the "unseen", the use of its primary power of command and domination is what really grabs Sauron's attention. And, of course, going so far as to openly claim it on Sauron's doorstep wouldn't go unnoticed.