View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Alas, my thread is being hijacked onto a tangent and I will be a willing part of it, paticularly because the tangent relates to the initial subject. I do want to hear what people have to say regarding the initial topic: how could saving Finduilas avert Turin's doom? Son of Numenor comes up with an interesting idea that I will respond to after giving others a chance to put in their two pence.

Aiwendil, I am tempted to accuse you of raising a question that you know the answer to. CoH and the Silmarillion both state that Turin did not return Finduilas' love. Unfinished Tales offers no help as the section of Narn i hin Hurin that would have addressed this issue is not included; the text defers to the published Silmarillion. Confident that what was published in the Silmarillion would be confirmed in earlier versions, I went directly to Shaping Middle Earth and found that Turin loved Finduilas but feared entangling her in his doom. Later versions of the Tale addressed in The War of the Jewels are substantially similar to the earlier versions, Turin loves Finduilas but fears his love. Nor do the commentaries in War of the Jewels express any regret regarding CT's final treatment of the subject in the Silmarillion as he sometimes does. I have not checked all other commentaries.

So the NEW issue becomes, where did the conception of these events found in the Silmarillion and CoH come from? Where is the source material for this version of the story? Does it come from Tokien in some unpublished text or is it CT's own view of where his father would eventually come out on this issue?