View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Finduilas and the Doom of Turin

When I first read The Children of Hurin, there was one passage that I found jarring. After Gwindor is wounded to the death, he warns Turin that Finduilas "alone stands between you and your doom. If you fail her, it shall not fail to find you." I did not recall this from the Silmarillion text and wondered if it was a creation or interpretation of Christopher Tolkien. This is a case of simply failing to take note of details, since the same warning appears in the Silmarillion. Curious, because the words of Gwindor seem odd, as I will discuss in a moment, I checked Unfinished Tales. No help there, because this passage was not revised from the original Silmarillion text in UT. Going farther back, to the Shaping of Middle-Earth, this reference to averting Turin's doom is not present. Instead, Gwindor (or Flinding at the time) exacts a pledge from Turin to rescue Finduilas or, if he cannot, to slay her. A bit more investigation led me to The War of the Jewels where the language from CoH appears almost verbatim. CT's commentary notes that the reference to averting Turin's doom goes back to Lost Tales where it first appeared, but was later modified to the simple pledge to rescue Finduilas, at least until the War of the Jewels version.

Anyway, my question is this. How could the rescue of Finduilas avert Turin's doom, which was imposed by Morgoth's curse? I believe that every version of the Finduilas story emphasizes that Turin did not love her other than as a friend and did not have any desire to wed her. This was not a case where there could have been another marriage of Elves and Men, and even if there were, how would this avert Morgoth's curse? The curse was on Turin, not his name, and it seemed that it would always seek him out, where ever he went and what ever he did. If Turin had not fallen under the binding spell of Glaurung and had somehow managed to rescue Finduilas, how could this affect his doom?