View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #28
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I, too, cannot imagine Saruman not wanting Narya if it came within his sphere of influence. What I do wonder is if Gandalf had some means of defense, so that the ring could not simply be taken from him, much like the inability of the Witch King to simply pick Frodo up and shake him down for the One Ring. They could have seized the Ring when Frodo wore it but not otherwise unless he gave it up by loss of his will to keep it from the Nazgul. Perhaps there was some property of Narya that allowed its bearer to retain it by will in this way? I wouldn't think that Saruman could wrest it from Gandalf without a rather big fight, anyway! And, unless Saruman gained possession of the One Ring, he couldn't take advantage of Narya save to take it from Gandalf, which I think would be VERY difficult. I would think that knowing Gandalf held Narya would just enrage him and make him seek out the One Ring with all the more diligence.

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote