View Single Post
Old 01-09-2004, 01:36 PM   #15
Carannillion
Wight

Carannillion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

By Gorthol:
Quote:
"And the Grey Messenger took the Ring, and kept it ever secret; yet the White Messenger (who was skilled to uncover all secrets) after a time became aware of this gift, and begrudged it, and it was the beginning of the hidden ill-will that he bore to the Grey, which afterwards became manifest." Unfinished tales, The Istari
and

by Lord of Angmar
Quote:
But the Red Ring remained hidden until the end, and none save Elrond and Galadriel and Cirdan knew to whom it had been committed. ("Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age")
Let us first bear in mind that the works of Tolkien sometimes disagree with each other.

Second, let's keep things nice and polite.

Third, Gorthol:
Quote:
As I interpret this text, no one of the ordinary races (elves, dwarves, men) knew who had Narya except Cirdan, Galadriel and Elrond. I think Saruman could have been excluded when Tolkien wrote this, he is expressing the fact that ..and few even of the Eldar knew where they were bestowed.
Saruman is not one of the Eldar. He is a so-called Wizard - a Maia in the shape of an old man.

Elves, dwarves and men ar just as ordinary - or extraordinary - as any other race of ME, be that Ents, Hobbits or Orcs or whatevers.

This thread could perhaps be something for the New Silmarillion forum?