View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #75
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Sharia, the song is called "In Dreams" and it is sung by Edward Ross.

I know the track-by-track thread is in full swing and in the middle of ROTK over in the Novice and Newcomers forum (and I heartily recommend it to any who haven't seen it yet), but I figured I'd go ahead and make some comments here, as this is a more general soundtrack thread.

First, these are absolutely phenomenal soundtracks. Howard Shore has absolutely captured the spirit of the movies, and, I think, the spirit of the books. I think FOTR is my favorite soundtrack simply because every track is very memorable, but ROTK is gaining quickly and may overtake it.

Just a word of caution for FOTR though: Heavy on the Black Riders theme. It appears with full choir each time in #3 (The Shadow of the Past), #5 (The Black Rider), #6 (At the Sign of the Prancing Pony), #7 (A Knife in the Dark), and #8 (Flight to the Ford). It may be slightly overused, but I like it and sometimes find myself humming it.

The themes for all the soundtracks are phenomenal. Shire, Fellowship, Isengard, Mordor, Rohan, Gondor, Lorien, Nazgul . . . awesome. My favorite would have to be the Fellowship theme, with the Shire being a close second. The best Fellowship theme tracks are FOTR #11 (The Ring Goes South), FOTR #13 (The Bridge of Khazad-dum), and TTT #5 (The Uruk-Hai). Well, okay, those are the most majestic renditions. There are others that might be considered equally good.

I can't get over how awesome all the music is. The only one that makes me cry (or want to cry; I'm a sixteen-year-old male, after all) is ROTK #17 (The Return of the King), when the Shire theme is played sadly. This is the moment in the movie when everyone bows to the four hobbits at Aragorn's coronation. I wanted to cry when I saw that in the theatre, and I want to cry when I hear it in the soundtrack.

OK, I'll quit raving; you're all bored to tears, I'm sure. My favorite tracks are, not necessarily in this order:

The Bridge of Khazad-dum

The Breaking of the Fellowship

Concerning Hobbits

The Black Rider

The Uruk-Hai

Foundations of Stone

The Return of the King

The End of All Things

The White Tree

The Steward of Gondor

The Grey Havens

The Ride of the Rohirrim

Many Meetings

OK, I could probably go on, but I know you don't want me to. I will just add a word about the three original credit songs. Enya's (May It Be) is beautiful and used to be my favorite. Emiliana Torrini (Gollum's Song) is truly haunting and captures the heart of Gollum. But my favorite is Annie Lennox in Into the West. It's just a wonderful song, and, well, obviously, she makes an awesome delivery. I know some complain because it's a lot different style from the other two, but I think it fits the end of the movie perfectly.

All right, I'll stop now.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote