View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 12:03 PM   #20
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Well, in defense of Mithalwen, (although I don't wish to be challenged to any duels -- or slapped with a gauntlet, for that matter!), I can see where she's coming from. Aragorn can be a bit high and mighty at times, but I suppose he has the right to... he is king, after all!

In this particular chapter I can only find one example of Aragorn acting in this manner:

Quote:
"Well, you know your own business, maybe," said Mr. Butterbur, looking suspiciously at Strider. "But if I was in your plight, I wouldn't take up with a Ranger."

"Then who would you take up with?" asked Strider. "A fat inkeeper who only remembers his own name because people shout it at him all day? They cannot stay in The Pony for ever, and they cannot go home. They have a long road before them. Will you go with them and keep the black men off?"
This seems a bit extreme to say to poor Butterbur, but then again he was always rather less than friendly to Aragorn. And Fordim's comment:

Quote:
The manner of his introduction in this chapter is entirely appropriate. Aragorn presents everyone he meets with a challenge: it's the challenge of his own presence -- are you worthy of him? Are you wise enough to recognise who and what he is, strong enough to pledge yourself to him, and faithful enough to follow him?
bolsters the evidence that Aragorn is confident enough in his own strengths that he has no hesitation in doing what he must. Plus, who would be the leader if not Aragorn? It is better for a king to show the ability to lead justly and with wisdom even before ascending to the throne, and Aragorn certainly does that.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote