View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 09:52 AM   #13
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting in this section so I'm just trying to get into the swing of things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Iambic verse is the more usual in poetry as it more clearly mimics the natural cadence of spoken English; it is the least poetic sounding form of poetry. Anapestic verse is the precise opposite; it is the most poetic sounding. This is fascinating to me – Sauron’s verse is one that hides its artifice in a way; it sounds like simple prose, when really it’s poetry. Aragorn’s verse, on the other hand (written, I realise, by Bilbo) is openly artificial and poetic.
Well, after looking up "anapestic" I must say I agree. And as rutslegolas said earlier, it is a very inspirational poem. "Not all those who wander are lost" is the kind of line that can definitely cheer you up.

As for Sauron's verse being the "least poetic," perhaps this ties in to the corruption of all good things in an attempt to create, as demonstrated by Sauron and Morgoth in the past? Perhaps this method of verse on the Ring was done deliberately by Tolkien to show that even Sauron's poetry, something that is generally regarded as beautiful and pleasing to hear, is rather uncouth.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote