View Single Post
Old 04-14-2003, 01:31 AM   #17
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Adanedhel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Tunar was in a state of shock after the confrontation in the merchants office. Deriath had been bested, he had obviously underestimated his clients and what they were capable of and how bad they wanted the information he tried to make money from. Tunar shook his head as he left the merchant’s office trailing behind Halasan, Haleg and the others wondering why the world was filled with so much violence. He understood why it was done but for the life of him could not understand the need, surely paying an amount of money is better than causing pain and suffering? Even if it seemed justified, violence should only be used when all other avenues were exhausted.
He quickly caught up with the group and said to Halasan in a whispered tone, glancing every now an again at the axe wielding mercenary who now strode along eyes fixed directly ahead

“We need to stay here the night, though after the previous little incident that may be unwise we need it”

Halasan nodded not saying anything so Tunar continued:

“There is a little inn not far from here called the Elephant and wheelbarrow. A quaint little place not many visitors and I know the barkeep so our direction of leave will not be known to too many”

Halasan nodded and Tunar strode ahead of him and Haleg making his way quickly through the streets whispers flowing behind in the group’s wake.

“Word spreads quickly of one’s actions”

Azariah commented as he heard some very loud whispers from a group of men “The one with the axe” “Took down two of Deriath’s guards” “Doesn’t look that big” Tunar nodded and said with a note of tiredness

“Yes, when you threaten to kill the wealthiest merchant in town word does seem to spread far and wide like wild fire”

They ignored the whispers marking their passage and soon Tunar stopped out the front of a small building, two stories high with red brick construction slate tiles covering the roof and several chimneys poking out of the black roof puffing smoke into the air like oversized pipweed pipes. Over the front door a sign swung with an elephant inside a green wheelbarrow clutching a bottle of ale and looking rather indisposed with white writing peeling from the wheather that proclaimed to passers by that this was indeed the ’Elephant & Wheelbarrow Inn’. Tunar pointed to the door and said with a slight smile and a happier tone

“This is the Elephant and wheelbarrow inn, a place that I usually stay if I ever find myself stuck in Cambere on a trade run”

He moved off toward the door opening it letting warm candle light spill out into the street he turned and motioned for the group to follow him and they all filed into the common room, the one or two visitors lifting their heads from their ale long enough to register the newcomers then return to their amber liquid.
Tunar walked to the bar and called out loudly through a back door

“Daennyn! Daennyn!”

There was a thump then a grumble and a short portly man came out of the door way, hastily tying on a stained grey apron, brushing his thick blonde hair into a somewhat acceptable look then looking up at his visitors a look of annoyance wrinkling his face up. As soon as he saw that it was Tunar that was in front of him his face lit up and he reached over the bar in an offer of a handshake. Tunar took the proffered handshake and shook it firmly Daennyn exclaiming

“What brings you to Cambere old friend? More trade?”

Tunar kept his cheerful attitude and said

“No friend, a different sort of business I am on this time around”

Daennyn nodded and looked over Tunar’s shoulder at his companions

“And who are these companions of yours?”

Tunar turned and let Daennyn see all of them sayign to him

“These are the people who I guided to Cambere, they needed a guide so I showed them, they are only passing through”

Daennyn nodded and came around the other side of the bar extending his hand to each of the company and greeting them. Tunar smiled as some of the company were taken back by the barkeep’s bubbly and friendly nature. When all the introductions were finished Tunar turned to the smiling Daennyn and said in a more business like tone reserved for those who he was selling goods to.

“We need rooms for the night and food for tonight and the morning”

Daennyn nodded and his eyes twinkled as he counted up how much it would cost as there was so many of them. Tunar noticed this and knew it well in his dealins with Daennyn before

“Now I would be hoping that because there is so many of us you would be giving us a fairer price”

Daennyn ‘s face twitched and Tunar then said

“If you would do this I would be more obliged to discount you on the price of repairing or making any items you need”

Daennyn smiled and said with tinge of hapiness at the discreet haggling

“Done.”

Each were shown to their rooms, each room was a one bed affair with a window, bathtub, a side stand and a rack for hanging any clothes on. Tunar showed himself to his usual room, the only difference between his and the others was that his had a chair facing the window which looked out back towards Edoras and it was there that he know sat slowing nodding off to sleep the events of the day and the attack of the night before tiring him mentally beyond which he had ever had to endure.....

-Henry V