Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #8627
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
No, I know - like I said, it doesn't really fit the clue, but if I didn't ask...

Okay, V should be easy; how many V-words can there be? I think 'wherefore, we hear' might be a Y, but Juliet's bottle?

Umm... if it's Juliet of Romeo fame, then she was Italian. 'Bottiglia' doesn't have a V, but something like 'vino', for 'wine', does.

... how about VILYA? It shows up in Volume 3, and 'Vila' looks like an Italian word.

The first E: French for 'glory' is 'gloire', which sounds close to one of the words used at Cormallen... yep, EGLERIO, with an E note.

hS
Quite. I was telling myself off, not you. I've added a wink to make it clearer.

EGLERIO is correct. So is your reasoning.

VILYA is correct too, but the reason is that Juliet drinks a sleeping potion from a small glass bottle which is on every occasion referred to as a VIAL. There's a famous speech, just before she swallows its contents, in which she expresses her terrible fears of its not working, or being poison that the Friar has given her to get rid of her, or of waking too early and suffocating in the family vault with all those pongy corpses, or going mad and playing with the bones of her dead kinsmen and women! I remember an actress performing it on Wogan, back in the 80's - an elderly lady speaking a part from her youth. Pretty cool that she still remembered it!

It will be the same sort of thing that Galadriel called a PHIAL, but it's VIAL in Shakespeare, so it's Juliet in the clue, because I needed the V.

Then the Y is because 'wherefore' actually means WHY, which sounds like, (hence 'we hear') Y.

'Wherefore art thou Romeo?' of course means 'WHY are you Romeo?' - because it means, (together with the lines that follow), "Why are you Romeo Montague? (Because my family will never let me marry a Montague). Then she goes on to ask him to throw away his name, or if not she'll throw away hers and no longer be a Capulet.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 02-28-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote