View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #93
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Lord Korak, standing in the doorway, could not resist a little smile of smugness, and he went to Arshalous and bowed courteously before her, saying: "Lady Cousin, how kind it is of you to aid me in this endeavour." Then he bowed also to the King, and he kissed his mother's hand. "Your pardon, Majesty, for arriving late. I rode with all haste, but I regret deeply I was out riding at all."

"You could not have known that his Majesty would send for us, son," said Lady Hababa, patting Korak's hand. "I have taken your place in your absence. You have arrived most quickly."

He gave her a fleeting smile, and wondered why she talked so much. She was, no doubt, pleased that the two cousins would join forces on one subject, and more than likely she hoped that it would bring them together. Observing Arshalous' sharp face, full of spite, he could not think that there was any chance of it.

"You know what we're discussing, Lord Korak?" the King questioned.

"Yes, Majesty," said Korak, "or, at least, I believe I do. I heard my cousin's last words to you, and I gather that you are discussing the temple, and also that she has agreed to help pay for it. It is good news to my ears, to hear that I will be assisted in this venture, especially by my charming cousin." However well he concealed with mockery and spite in his voice, it could not escape his mother's ears, who knew him better than all others, and at once her hopes of a reconciliation were dashed, and she bowed her head sorrowfully.