View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #89
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Lady Arshalous was indeed an odd mixture of cunning and naivete. She was able to perceive that there were motives other than piety at work in the nobles’ desire for a new High Temple, and yet at the same moment she brazenly denied her King’s request. It had not been a command – it could not have been. Pashtian law expressly forbade any form of indirect taxation, but everyone knew that a royal request was something not lightly to be ignored. The Lady was well within her rights to deny the King, but it was a dangerous game for her to be playing. Faroz was neither vindictive nor vengeful, and from time to time it came about that one of the nobility would defy him. Had such a thing happened in his father’s day the one foolish enough to deny his or her king would usually end up charged with treason for an offense that had hitherto been unknown. Occasionally, such niceties as this would be skipped entirely and the offending nobleman found dead in his bed within a year. In the time of Faroz’s rule, such incidents had ceased, and for a time there had been those among the nobility who had seen this as a sign of the son’s weakness. But Faroz was somewhat more imaginative than his father, and his tactics, while more subtle, were just as effective in the end. Those who denied him found themselves suddenly faced with any number of difficulties. Petitions to the Court would be delayed, sometimes for years, before being heard. Certain privileges would be curtailed, and royal appointments for the offender would not be renewed. If the noble who had denied the King had trading interests, that same noble would find new permits and trading rights hard to obtain. In this way the King was able to bring home to his people the disadvantages of not co-operating, and sooner or later, he would get his way.

It had been a long time since he had been forced to make an example of anyone, and he found the prospect of having to do so now…distasteful. For years he had ruled unquestioned and unopposed, and he did not relish the prospect of an open display of disloyalty from someone as relatively unimportant as the Lady Arshalous. It would be better if she could be convinced today. Appearing unconcerned by her refusal, the King offered the Lady more tea. She accepted and as he poured it out he said, almost conversationally, “Are you very sure you wish to make such a quick decision in this matter? You do not appear to have considered it deeply, and yet you are willing to reject my request,” he allowed an emphasis to rest on this word, “almost immediately.”

The Lady seemed to catch at least part of his meaning and asked, “What more should I consider, Majesty? Are there other factors I have not taken into account?”

“None that pertain to the Temple, Lady. I merely ask that you reconsider your answer. I do not make such a request lightly.” He paused for a second and sipped his tea, then continued. “You are quite young, Lady, and I realise not much used to an active role in the Kingdom. If you would not mind a bit of free advice, it might do you good to become more involved. It is your choice, of course, but I would think that contributing to this Temple might be just the opportunity you need to make a place for yourself – to distinguish yourself amongst the other nobility. I can understand your reservations about the project, I myself share them. Like you, I believe that there may very well be – other factors behind certain people’s support of it. But that cannot be our concern, can it? Mustn’t we make our decisions based on what we believe and want, rather than from fear of what others might be planning? Besides, Lady, we are only speaking of what might be, today. As I said, I have not decided whether or not to build it – so what harm is there in lending your support to it now?” He eyed her above the rim of his cup, and wondered if she understood the choice he was offering her…and that it would only be offered this one time.