Thread: Glorfindel
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #12
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
I took a look at this chapter. I can see the argument for keeping it where it is, but I can also see the argument for moving it to volume 3. I'm not sure, I will have to think about it more, especially after reviewing the rest of the texts. One question: are we imagining this to actually be Bilbo's texts? Should we take into account the fact that Bilbo probably knew Glorfindel at Rivendell and could get first-hand information from him? Other than that broad question, I only have one specific comment:

Quote:
This name GLOR-SL-02{is in fact derived from the earliest work on the mythology: The Fall of Gondolin, composed in 1916-17, … was still haphazard. It }was intended to mean 'Golden-tressed', GLOR-SL-03{(4)} and was the name given to the heroic ...
By combining these two sentences, the text reads "This name was intended to mean 'Golden-tressed' and was the name...". This sounds awkward to have "name" twice in such close proximity to each other. I also don't think it makes sense to start a chapter with "This name" referring to the title of the piece. In addition, the phrase "was intended to mean" is Tolkien talking about his intentions when he came up with the name. I propose we change this to:

Quote:
GLOR-SL-01.5{This name} Glorfindel GLOR-SL-02{is in fact derived from the earliest work on the mythology: The Fall of Gondolin, composed in 1916-17, … was still haphazard. It } GLOR-SL-02.5{was intended to mean} meant 'Golden-tressed', GLOR-SL-03{(4)} and was the name given to the heroic ...
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote