Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #10564
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Well, the theme (and the password) could be 'kingslayers'
It could and it is be. GoT reference unintentional though; I was thinking of this, but I see that's kingkiller...

Quote:
And if so, then the clues in parenthesis lead to the kings they've killed.

For Naugrim, it's Thingol (narrow = thin + log backwards), and for Eldacar, it's Castamir (cast a mir)
Quote:
And 4 is for Telemnar (tel em nah)
Yes and yes, and you're right, that's what the (parens) are for.

Quote:
2. Could be Iluvatar, who killed Pharazon, who stole the title from Miriel...
This is not right; Pharazon isn't dead! But Miriel is the slain...

1. K - The crown of the north, ruled mother in anger. (Would make money but for you)
2. I - Wet, not out, half under, a Nation without a capital. (Her title stolen) killed Tar-Miriel of Numenor
NAUGRIM - "I say, it's now grim, little ones." (Narrow the log backwards) killed Thingol of Doriath
GREAT PLAGUE - Grand and very 2020: the ruin of Gondor. (Tell them no with a thick accent) killed Telemnar of Gondor
5. S - Odd power, between a shin and neck both missing something, going down. (One way or another, the last.)
6. L - In the shadow, girl abs? No, that's both backwards - except the plural - and wrong at once; who's in charge? (I said he's gone, but he was thin first)
7. A - With his brother - or cousin - he said, "Anger might, eh?" (But for a couple of letters, he could dig for a herb)
YRCH - Your chai has no vowels, fallen ones. (Noted for his hair, I hear) killed Isildur of the Realms in Exile
ELDACAR - An elf's vehicle, or a rightful king. (Throw an elven jewel) killed Castamir of Gondor
10. R - Not to roll, hardly. (The son of the sun)
SNOWMANE - A horse with cold fur. (Almost definitely a god) killed Theoden of Rohan

Quote:
...But technically, Eldacar didn't kill a king, but an usurper...
Only if you accept the assertion that a non-Dunadan can be king of the Numenorean Exiles. If you're a racist Gondorian, that idea would be enough to... well... kick off a violent revolt that put a pure-blood on the throne for a whole decade, and was overthrown not by the people of Gondor itself, but by a bunch of grubby northmen of exactly the breed they were worried about.

My list of possible kings included not only Castamir, but also Pharazon, Wulf of Rohan, and Maglor as heir of Maedhros. I even had stewards and Lords of the Eored on there! ... though I've just now realise I forgot to consider Orodreth.

Anyway, I've just checked, and I think Miriel is the only titular non-king on the list.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote