Thread: Geeks?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #122
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

49.5069% - Super Geek Not to geeky! My boyfriend is a dysfunctional nerd, but hot!

See, to fully appreciate Tolkien requires brains, and brainy people are often considered the nerds and geeks and people tease the nerds and geeks because they're smart. I was tormented and suicidal in fifth grade from it! However, the bullies and teasers will get their comeupance when, at their 10-year-reunions, they see said-nerds and said-geeks are now part of the jet-set.

But I feel sorry for those people who haven't been able to grasp Tolkien.

Both the definitions of Nerd apply to me, and it's something to be proud of. Even non-Tolkienists I know who know who Tolkien is admit he's brilliant, and it almost feels an honor to participate in his world, even if by reading and studying. A lot of people don't have the time neccessary. The Lord knows I barely have time these days with what's happening in my life.

A doctor once told me that reading a lot is a sign of depression, and if I didn't stop and start being more "social," he was going to have me committed. No joke. And schools don't seem to encourage reading mush either.

My boyfriend calls this uber-geeky, but I think it would be beneficial if courses on Tolkien were taught for the parallels to life and the government. It's much more interesting to study our own world when we can compare it to a fantasy world.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote