View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #72
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Eye

Uhmmmmm... I want to be one of the pursuers, but I know I come in a bit late. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I've included my character bio and my first post. I hope it works.

Name: Corrin the Dwarf

Race: Durin's folk

Date of Birth: Please see timeline below

History: Corrin's prose history is too long at this point, and I haven't really worked out some of the finer details, so I am using the format of Appendix B -- Tale of Years in the timeline below

Timeline
  • TA 2835 - Corrin, of the House of Durin, born in the Ered Luin. His grandfather was a burned dwarf, his grandmother belonged to the youngest dwarf house.
  • TA 2910 - Corrin accompanies small band of dwarves looking for work in Eriador
  • TA 2911 - Corrin reaches Dunland
  • TA 2913 - Corrin reaches the Iron Hills
  • TA 2920 - Corrin marries Dáie, kinswoman of Dáin of the Iron Hills
  • TA 2935 - Darrin, son of Corrin born
  • TA 2939 - Krís, daughter of Corrin, born
  • TA 2941 - Participated in the Battle of the Five Armies as one of Dáin's Grim Five Hundred.
  • TA 2944 - Helps rebuild Erebor and Dale. His family transfers from the Iron Hills to Erebor.
  • TA 2945-2970 - Travels through Lake Town, Dorwinion, Rhovanion and Rohan on business trips, later bringing Darrin with him
  • TA 2989 - Accompanies Balin on his journey to Moria, leaving his wife and children, but turns west at the High Pass, with the intent of gathering more dwarves from the Ered Luin for Balin in Moria
  • TA 2990 - After tarrying along the way, making a stop-over at Bree, finally reaches the Ered Luin but found no dwarves willing to accompany him. Makes long travel back to Khazad-dûm. Corrin cannot find the West (Hollin) Gate, so he goes over Redhorn Pass.
  • TA 2991 - Reaches Mirrormere and finds the Dimrill Gate overrun with orcs, but watches great dwarf counter-attack. Joins the fray. Stays with Balin for a while, before returning to Erebor by skiriting north of Mirkwood. Last ever seen of Balin and Company.
  • TA 2992 - Corrin establishes his own dwarven mansion, Gryphon Hall, in Erebor on the South-eastern spar of the Lonely Mountain. Starts adopting orphan children of Dale and apprenticing them. Gets rich from percentages given him by grateful humans. Darrin starts business trips of his own.
  • TA 2993-3009 - Business as usual, especially with humans.
  • TA 3009 - "Ride to the Dark Side"

Personality: Friendly dwarf with a good sense of humor, loves making a buck and hoarding riches, but not very greedy and can be very generous with friends or pitiable humans. Loves experimenting with metals and making different types of weapons and armor. Like most dwarves, can walk (not run, mind you) on and on without sleeping, but loves to sleep as much as he can anyway. Not fond of quarreling but loves to join a just fray. Loves to eat, loves to drink, loves to smoke. Loves to travel. Laughs too loudly sometimes when he's drunk. Loves the rain, but hates getting soaked. That's it for now.

Gear: cart with forge, smithy and grindstone, various swords, axes and hatchets (all for sale at reasonable prices); travelling cloak and hood, dwarven armor (hauberk, helmet, mail hose. . . the works), ivory pipe and bag of Tobold pipeweed.

Physical description: Four feet, eight inches hight, long forked and braided beard, brown hair, dressed in brown and green, leather boots with iron greaves, jewel-studded leather belt with gold buckle (engraved on it is the symbol of his hall, as well as some runes in the mode of Erebor)

First post:

It has been a tiring but deeply satisfying few months for the dwarf Corrin. Up and down Dunland, and through the homesteads of Rohan, now enjoying some warm ale and good pipeweed in the White Horse. And such good ale as he hadn't had in a long time, served by such a nice innkeeper, too. Being in the middle of Edoras, he didn't even feel the need to wear his armor; just normal clothes tonight, thank you very much. Aaaaah, yes, the wonderful fact of having sold almost all his wares and enjoying the profits. Nothing can spoil this, thought Corrin.

A woman suddenly burst in and she was obviously distressed. 'Good people of Rohan and guests of the Mark,' she began, 'we are abused and assaulted within our very gates. Our horses have been stolen, four of them mine, those of others as well. One of our own has been wounded. Who will join me in pursuit to recover the horses?' Oh, bother! thought Corrin, And it was turning out to be such a pleasant night, too. He turned to a gaping lad seated beside him, and said, '`Tis a bad thing to steal any of the horses of Rohirrim, you know.'

The lad turned toward him and looked even more surprised. Corrin paid no heed, but added, 'Yes, awful bad thing. Might as well steal one of their women or babies, it doesn't matter.' As he said this thing about women and babies, he thought of his own wife and children, and began to feel hot. 'The Horse-lords will go after 'em like nothing and make 'em pay,' he said, beginning to feel really riled up. 'Maybe,' Corrin added, 'maybe I go with them and test this out.' He was fingering his axe, then looked at the lad he was talking to, but he was gone.

He looked around, making sure that the silly kid didn't just sneak away, but the lad, well, what he thought was a lad was really nowhere in sight. 'Corrin, my boy,' said the dwarf to himself, '`tis a shame that you can no longer hold your liquor, talking to thin air like that.' The initial vengeful reaction gone, he greedily gulped his ale. 'But where's the fun if such good drink doesn't make you imagine stuff awhiles.' He raised his tankard to Bethberry, who smiled back.

By now, others were volunteering to go after the horse thieves and there was a general uproar. Some of the customers were suddenly leaving for the stables, probably to see if at least their horses were spared and left behind. Corrin sighed. 'I guess I can go on one free adventure,' he muttered softly to himself. 'Darrin is still on business and Dáie thinks I shall be returning by spring.' Quickly counting and estimating, he decided to go along with the posse. 'They will need a stout dwarf. Yes, they will.' Basking in his own heroism, and all the ale beginning to go to his head, he went up to his room without informing Bethberry or anyone that he was going. By the time he lay in bed, he had forgotten about the horses and the muster of the posse.

And he snored loudly, too, as only a dwarf can.

The next day, the sun was just about to rise, the posse that left some time before had already followed the trail, and Corrin the dwarf suddenly woke up with a start. He was feeling that he needed to do something important, very important, but he can't remember what.

'Breakfast!' he roared. 'I shall remember when I've had my breakfast.' As was his custom, he started preparing as if to leave. He wore his metal hose, his hauberk, his greaves, but not his helmet. All bundles neatly packed, ready to be heaved on his back, but in the meantime left in his room. He was beginning to feel good again and had forgotten about the posse. 'Tra-la-la-la-la,' he sang on his way down, oblivious to the others who may be sleeping. Hmmmmm... wait a minute, some of the doors are open.

The dining area was, understandably, quiet and almost empty of people, save Bethberry. She seems to have had quite a night, he thought. Looks like she hasn't slept a wink.

'Aaahh! My good innkeeper! Have you got any vittles for a hungry dwarf?' He suddenly felt the nagging doubt in his mind again, that something very important to do. Corrin was suddenly quiet and thoughtful as he went back to the exact same seat he was in the night before. Bethberry quickly brought some food over, as well as ale; too quickly, it seems. The food usually took time to cook. This was still warm. Corrin looked up and instinctly raised his tankard. Bethberry smiled back. He looked to where the gaping lad sat the night before.

And suddenly it all memory of the night before hit him so hard that he actually fell out of his chair. 'Foolish dwarf! There is no time for dilly-dallying!' He motioned to Bethberry, and roared, 'Ho! Inkeeper! Some provisions, if you please, for a week or two of hot pursuit.' Corrin's voice was shrill with dismay and hurry; he hated being left behind for any reason. 'Weapons! I need my weapons!' He ran back up and rummaged through his pack, taking one two-handed battle-axe, two smaller throwing axes, and finally his short broad sword and buckler shield.

Having these, he ran out of the door. And then ran back in. 'Of all the bother in this world!' he exclaimed as he shoved his helm on. He ran down the steps, and then fell down the rest of the way. He rolled back into a standing position and then faced Bethberry, whose hands were on her hips.

'Please, tell me where they went! I can catch up with them, dwarves need no sleep and I, we, can march day and night!' He took a step closer, his voice urgent and pleading. 'They will have to rest soon; I can catch up with them! I can! Please, tell me where they went and let me go, too.'
=============================================
I really hope this works out. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sorry for the very long post. Didn't realize it was already this long, but I dare not edit anything out anymore. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Sorry.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: Gryphon Hall ]