View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #67
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSteefel View Post
I agree that by itself, this is speculative. This is meaningful in conjunction with Tolkien's statement that the WK has added demonic power. This statement is also open for various possible interpretations.

How do you prove that this is the only conclusion?
'cos breaking some big gates is not actually a big deal in itself. The fact is that the WK used a battering ram & some spells to break the gates. The breaking of the gates is just a bad example if you're offering 'evidence' that the WK is more powerful at the Pelennor Fields than he was earlier. The gates are not magical as far as I know & don't need magic to bring them down - only force. What other evidence is there that the WK was more powerful during the battle - he seems the same person to me - given that the Barrow blade, 'wound about with spells' that was designed to bring him down still worked.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote