View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 11:56 AM   #384
Dynaviir
Wight

Dynaviir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dynaviir was a little put out by the question. What answer could he give?

"I was far away from my home for a while.. but I went back to Gondor. My travels were weary, and so I have come here - as far as I can go - to relax. There is little more too it."

That, of course, was a lie. He shrugged it off. Novardion was trusting, or so he had thought. He would assume the story was correct. Dynaviir smiled at Niniel, this was more or less the story he had given her, and had felt a little ashamed that he wouldn't tell her much more. The same problem lay nowwith Novardion.

Dynaviir looked at Novardion a little curiously. 'Fair lady' was a term the man had used too often in the past.. he wondedered if his old ways had stayed with him.

He surruptitiously rolled his eyes to himself. He sipped his coffee and looked up as a man appeared.

"Pardon the intrusion, m'lady." The man had laid a hand on her shoulder, and she looked startled. Dynaviir's hand moved to his hilt. It was instinctive. But Niniel looked up, and seemed to relax as the man's face came into her view. Dynaviir stared fixatedly at the man. "I'm sorry, m'lady. I didn't mean to startle you."

"I-i-it's all right. W-w-won't you j-j-join us?"

Dynaviir watched the man closely, and then noticed that he was not a man, but an elf; hidden behind a hood which had hidden it's owner from view. Dynaviir didn't loosen his grip. His eyes met with the elf's. The elf seemed welcoming, and his eyes passed away as they turned to Niniel, who spoke.

"Th-th-this is Soronume," she said smiling. Dynaviir loosened. His hand left his hilt and went back to his mug. He tried to smile at the elf; the elf hadn't seem to notice his wariness. Niniel smiled too, and Dynaviir felt a little more at ease, knowing the elf wasn't a threat. Niniel gestured to him. "A-a-and th-th-this is Dynaviir, and th-th-that is Novardaion."

Dynaviir finally managed a full smile at the elf, but Soronume was looking and greeting Novardion. Dynaviir wondered if he had noticed, since his friend had been introduced after him, yet was greeted before. Dynaviir shifted his eyes quickly, and smiled at Niniel instead. She seemed to be looking into space, smiling to herself. It made him feel better to see her smile. He subconsiously stroked his pendant. He took another sip of coffee. It was almost empty.

"..and, Dynaviir," the elf said. The elf smiled at him in greeting. For the first time Dynaviir noticed the look in his eyes, the wisdom and calm of his presence. He now felt slightly guilty to have been so hasty. But he felt now like.. he could barely trust anyone.

Dynaviir regained his smile anyway, and shook hands with the elf. Maybe they could be friends after all. His gaze met again with Niniel, and she smiled.

But somewhere inside him, Dynaviir didn't feel quite comfortable. In some ways, he felt out of place. He was a changed man from the one Novardion had known, he wondered if he could meet expectations. Somehow, for no reason, he envied the elf for his aura. He ignored the thought, and pushed it aside. He was not a jealous man. This elf had done nothing to him.

Smiling still, Dynaviir said; "It is a pleasure to meet one of your kind, my good elf. I hope we can be friends. How is it that you know Niniel, if you don't mind my asking?"

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Dynaviir ]