View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #1029
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
You don't have fluffy buscuits and gravy over wherever you are? Europe, England, wherever? Wow. You poor person. It's wonderful. And fluffy biscuits are the best.

-- Folwren
England. Well we have gravy of course and we have something like what you call biscuits which we call scones and while you can make them with herbs or cheese and serve with soup they are most often made with sultanas or plain and served with butter and jam or iconically jam and thick or clotted cream as part of a Cream tea. The nearest I have had to having them with gravy was when I had to make a minced beef cobbler at school.

But what we call biscuits, Americans call cookies (or crackers for the savoury kind). SO think cookies smothered with butter & honey / gravy and you may see why it seems funny however much I know it isn' t what is meant. Maybe I should find a US biscuit recipe and compare and contrast..

But I didn't really get why the onions were a big deal either. In a stew you tend to notice moer when they are not there than when they are...

Poor old Al.. of course when he meets Annie she is liable to be like the children in "The Emperor's New Clothes" ... Maybe when she perks up.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace