View Single Post
Old 06-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #480
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I mean... I'm not sure if it's the Russian getting to me, but I don't mind slightly weird syllable-emphasis in minor words. I guess we'll see how it sings.
Lol. "See how it sings" is I think where I'm at too.

I think my problem with Yoding around and weird word and emphasis placement is that I tend to stick too tightly to the Russian sentence structure when translating directly, as I am now learning from Dawn. Turns out I need to do things twice: first translate it with decent language, then read just the English after I've forgotten how exactly the Russian goes and correct the awkward sentence structures. (Hint, if you're reading it: I still haven't really done the second step on a global level).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
[Throws up hands] Elves!
Do not go to the Elves for council, for they will say both yes and yes. Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
I mean, we could go all-in on the Yoda...

Naught but madness I hear in what you said,
Poisoned is this cup, hmm, my doom it's brewing
Eldar crave not honour, but to serve instead;
Dangerous this passion - our lives you'll ruin!

Cracked me up, this did. immortalized in our archives it should be, yes, hmm. In honour of our grammar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
[Solemnly hands over a brooch]
[Clips imaginary brooch to equally imaginary cloak]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
From my side, it's been a delight to get to talk about it; I've loved the Script for more than a decade, despite its flaws. (Incidentally, just yesterday someone mentioned that they heard from P@L earlier this year! She's still alive and well, and apparently does some non-fandom sort of writing. So it's just possible that someday she'll come back and finish it off...!

(That's what the Eldar call estel, I believe. ^_~)
That is indeed Estel in the highest sense... ^.^ But wouldn't that be delightful!

I think my favourite has to be the Beren in Nargothrond act... Act II? I found that the Act 4 relationship between Beren and the Elves is a bit boiled down to blaming self and others, depending on who's talking to whom. But Act 2 had brilliant humour, and I loved the relationship development between Beren and Finrod. ("Beor?...") In Act 4, I think the part I liked a lot is the story development in the end, where they reveal that post-Feanor Valinor was not all song and dancing and la-di-da like the ME-centered history sort of implies. But, of course, nothing beats Finarfin calling Finrod his wiseling. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Having finished reading two other things, this is now top of my list. What that means in practical terms I'm not sure, but at least it's there. ^_^
I mean, a year or two from now, when it's actually finished, I will let you know. I've also loved this fic, though not even for a year now, in spite of its flaws. And I would be very excited to talk to someone about it, because it too has some very interesting things to offer. Also, it really inspired Wind for me - I was very much looking through the lens of that fic when I was arranging it.

Appeal is happening, just... very slowly. It will come in it's time. It's also that I don't really know what I want to do for the first couple stanzas - I have a better picture in mind for how I want "I would fain" onwards to sound, so it should be faster going there.