View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #24
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn D鹠

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug*platypus View Post
I struggle to see why Tolkien subtitled this beautiful poem Frodo's Dreme. If it was indeed a dream of Frodo's, then it doesn't seem to have been prophetic, because the events described don't seem to be the same that he experienced when he left the Grey Havens.

The hobbits as mortals would not have been able to return to Middle-Earth after residing in the Undying Lands, probably past their natural lifespans. They would have died, and their fëar passed to the same place that of men go. Also, the person in the poem is alone throughout, even when they leave, whereas Frodo left with several of his friends or allies.
Yes, he left with many friends. Gandalf, Galadriel and Bilbo went with him, when he left "really." But isn't this poem is about his dream(s)? The only place where I find it hard to believe that the protagonist is Frodo, is where he sees himself as "King of this land." Other things, in my opinion, make perfect sense. I'm not sure if the poem's about Frodo or not, but I want it to be about him. It gives me a better understanding of his guilts and torments that he still went through; and that in the book isn't much clear.