View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Thanks for creating this thread, Bethberry. I only have time for a short comment, or question really, and hopefully can post more at a later date.

I haven't read John Garth's "Tolkien and the Great War," but from all accounts of what I remember hearing others say, it's a must read for those interested in Tolkien studies.

As a casual book reader, the works of Tolkien scholars were never a primary interest for me, but Garth's book has 2 of my interests. So, for anyone who has read it. Would you suggest it for someone interested in history and Tolkien? On the subject of Garth, has anyone read (and recommend) his newer book "The Worlds of JRR Tolkien?"

Thanks.
Garth's Tolkien and the Great War is very much worthy of a read, Boro. It is both history and biography and adds substantially to Humphrey Carpenter's biography. It is less a history of WWI and much more a biography of what happened to Tolkien in the War and how that experience influenced his writing. Also of real interest, I think, is Garth's exploration of the profound friendships Tolkien made at King Edward's School with the TCBS, the Tea Club, Barrovian Society. Two of those close friends died fighting in WWI and that grief stayed with Tolkien all his life for they were all involved in plans to write a literature that would profoundly influence (they hoped) modern readers. The aspirations and aims of the schoolboys is of great interest to Tolkien readers. I also think that reading about the kind of schooling Tolkien had is rewarding--an old style pedagogy that many readers nowadays would not be familiar with. I know you trained in education so you might already be aware of how Tolkien's education differs from that common today in North America.

I haven't read Garth's other book about places and geographies that might have influenced Tolkien. My guess is that Garth wrote it to counter the unfortunate contemporary trend to appropriate Middle-earth for the tourist industry--there are so many places in the UK that attempt to put themselves on the Tolkien map, whether there really is adequate evidence or not. Garth does not simplistically equate specific places with definite sites in Middle-earth but rather shows how Tolkien wove various aspects of the real world into his created world, including botany, geography. Apparently it is a beautiful book with marvellous illustrations, maps, etc.

Garth was trained in journalism and worked for many years as a journalist before becoming a writer, so his style is very readable. He has a profound respect for Tolkien's writing and is very approachable. I was able to acquire his booklet on Tolkien's experiences as a student at Exeter College by writing to him and one other time I contacted him via FB he willingly and gladly shared his expertise.