View Single Post
Old 03-04-2002, 02:21 PM   #17
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Squatter - I am confused by your statement:

Quote:
None of the characters who relinquish life do so by an act of violence against themselves, wherein lies the distinction.
Are you just refering to the Numenorean Kings, or all of Tolkien's characters? Just wondering. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thingol, I was thinking about Maedhros (elf) who took his own life by throwing himself into a fissure. I always assumed he went to the Halls of Mandos to wait for many long ages, but was at some point healed and walked again among the Noldor in Valinor. So, it would seem that there is no "punishment" for elvish suicide, other than a rather lengthy stay in Mandos.

I think you've answered your own question in that it is not a "double-standard" between elves and men, but there is just such a great difference in what death means for the two races. Elvish "death" in Arda seems more like a physical death than a spiritual one. And human death is refered to as more of a "release" from the confines of the world - a nice way to put it I think! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mat_H - thanks for posting all those passages, I never have my books with me, so it's great when someone else looks the stuff up!