View Single Post
Old 09-11-2002, 06:34 PM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Meril ---So as not to show disrespect for many of my friends here who are believing Christians, let me add that my name should not be included in this honored list. My own family is Jewish, in a very traditional sense. (So I guess the lack of slash also appeals to me!) But I am interested in questions of theology and belief, both Jewish and Christian, as well as mysticism.

Plus, with several degrees in medieval history, I spent long years immersed in Aquinas, Augustine, etc. So the terminology is very familiar to me. This is where the confusion may lie.

The religious interpetation of the books is a very valid one, both in a specific Christian sense and a more general theistic one, especially given Tolkien's own values. But it isn't the only one of value. Tolkien's writing are like a rich mine of knowledge. We all bring different perspectives and backgrounds. I've sometimes found, for example, that my knowlege of medieval history and literature has helped me as much or more in understanding Middle-earth than anything else.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit