View Single Post
Old 02-14-2003, 11:41 AM   #49
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am confused on this myself, because I know JRRT makes a big deal about not re-using elf names. BUT: in this case, the name has to be common if it just Greenleaf (but in what language, eh? I don't speak elf, someone tell me.) NEXT: it doesn't make sense for me to think that his grandfather was the King of Mirkwood at the time of the last alliance (SA 3434), and his father is noted at that battle and ruled thereafter, why would Legolas be the one at Gondolin (FA 510?)? What was the rest of his family doing at that time? Why three generations in 500 years, and then nothing more in 3000? Or, if Legolas was at the battle of the Last Alliance, why doesn't he mention it?
Tolkien reacted strongly to Glorfindel being used twice, but in this case, he just didn't have time to edit it, I think. I wasn't sure when I read the Silm. section, though, so maybe Galorme is right. But really, the more likely option is that they are two different people. I also feel that Legolas was a fairly young elf, and that he is supposed to be so. But, I'm no elf-expert.