View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #16
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Ermmm...as one of the above includes Frodo I'm not sure that such a choice makes much sense....
Oh, so now there is the requirement to make sense?!? Hmmm..I may have a little trouble with that, but then again I guess that there's a first time for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Boromir had a lot of chances to do so too, but never did until he did, if you take my meaning.
But not as many as did Aragorn. Strider was alone in the woods with fours hobbits unchaperoned. When Boromir enters the story, the Ring Bearer is surrounded by some pretty big body guards, and so he might have been put off by them. And what is hinted at by the temptations of Galadriel? Did she see Ring lust in Aragorn's eyes? My point is that Boromir and Aragorn are different.

Quote:
But had they all stayed with Frodo on the journey to Mordor, I believe that, of them all, he would have been in the most danger...Then again, I believe that given sufficent time and exposure, they would all have succumbed to the lure of the Ring - with the exception, perhaps, of Gandalf.
It's possible that Aragorn would have succumbed, yet I see that happening with no more or less probability than any of the others (with the exception of the witless Pippin thing). I know that the Ring tempts and tempted, yet when I read the text I never got the sense that any of the others felt as Boromir did, meaning that I was told of the Ring's irresistable siren song, but never heard it in any of the characters' ears.

And, to quote Sauron, Aragorn's fall may have happened when the world were in dire straights (that text about a time of strife when a new Ring Lord would appear and put down all of the others or something), yet when would this strife have occurred? If Aragorn accompanied Frodo, when would possessing the Ring appear to be the better deal? Would Aragorn need it to get through the Black Gate? Or if they followed Gollum's path to Cirith Ungol, would Aragorn need to take the Ring to put down the Witch-King? If he were in Minas Tirith when the siege started, then maybe he would have felt more like Denethor, but again I just don't see it.

Boromir was Tolkien's fall guy.